• VF-Engineering Stage I to Stage III E46 M3 S54 supercharger kit upgrade and tune by Ray West tuning before/after dyno results

      This E46 M3 owner decided to upgrade from the VF-Engineering Stage I supercharger system to the Stage III system. Stages 1, 2, and 3 from VF-Engineering use the exact same Vortech blower. The difference is the mapping and associated parts. In this case going from Stage I to Stage III involved adding larger fuel injectors, an air to water charger cooler (Stage I does not feature intercooling), and a custom tune for the hardware courtesy of UK tuner Ray West.

      The before and after changes with new mapping, cooling, and more fuel are night and day on the same blower. The Stage I graph shows 440.5 wheel horsepower. After the supplemental parts and new tune the result is 538.4 or just about 100 more horsepower at the wheels.

      VF-Engineering has a long documented history of questionable tuning on the E46 M3 platform with their supercharger kits so a custom tune is certainly preferred than going with the canned tune. The result here speaks for itself.


      VF-Engineering Stage I:


      VF-Engineering Stage III with Ray West custom tune:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: VF-Engineering Stage 1 to Stage III E46 M3 S54 supercharger kit upgrade and tune by Ray West tuning before/after dyno results started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 43 Comments
      1. SexiPYm3's Avatar
        SexiPYm3 -
        Interested in pricing on this kit!! Curious to know why someone would go this route over a turbo kit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
        Interested in pricing on this kit!! Curious to know why someone would go this route over a turbo kit.
        There only are a handful of turbo options and they are more expensive. The SC's are also more reliable and easier to tune especially on the stock DME.
      1. SexiPYm3's Avatar
        SexiPYm3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        There only are a handful of turbo options and they are more expensive. The SC's are also more reliable and easier to tune especially on the stock DME.
        True, but I would imagine that for this stage 3 kit, it would run higher than $8000. Which isn't far from the maxpsi kit.
      1. leo985i's Avatar
        leo985i -
        Appealing for those who do not want turbo lag, and a more linear power curve for tracking.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
        True, but I would imagine that for this stage 3 kit, it would run higher than $8000. Which isn't far from the maxpsi kit.

        With the added bits for the maxpsi kit that I costed you are looking at closer to $15k installed with their in house exhaust etc... S/C are easy bolt ons............ as such, this is an excellent alternative to the turbo options
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        I'm sure at 540whp and quick power delivery, an e46M3 is a load of fun. I mean with the weight difference that's gotta keep it close to a 6MT e92 M3 no?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
        True, but I would imagine that for this stage 3 kit, it would run higher than $8000. Which isn't far from the maxpsi kit.
        If you already have Stage I you don't even need to bother with VF. Source an intercooler, injectors, retune, done.
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        I've been dealing with VF these last few years and the supplied E46 tunes are quite nice, if a bit conservative. The VF570 (formerly stage 3) is a great kit for the $$$. Its an easy bolt on system that makes the stated power through stock exhaust...

        http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vf-e...-m3-p2614.aspx

        Looking FW to dropping the 93 octane VF700 numbers in the next few months ;-)
      1. Jaycent@MPACT's Avatar
        Jaycent@MPACT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
        Interested in pricing on this kit!! Curious to know why someone would go this route over a turbo kit.
        This kit makes some good power as you can see. I was undecided between a S/C and a Turbo kit for the longest time. It could of come down to a coin flip at the end of the day for me. lol

        I went with a turbo due to knowing several of my close friends with a S/C and I wanted to try something diff. I think both are great set-ups that would make anyone happy. (oh and there really is not much turbo lag as people say or think) Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        I've been dealing with VF these last few years and the supplied E46 tunes are quite nice, if a bit conservative. The VF570 (formerly stage 3) is a great kit for the $$$. Its an easy bolt on system that makes the stated power through stock exhaust...

        http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vf-e...-m3-p2614.aspx

        Looking FW to dropping the 93 octane VF700 numbers in the next few months ;-)
        It's priced pretty damn well.

        Didn't know they were doing a VF700.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        I've been dealing with VF these last few years and the supplied E46 tunes are quite nice, if a bit conservative. The VF570 (formerly stage 3) is a great kit for the $$$. Its an easy bolt on system that makes the stated power through stock exhaust...

        http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vf-e...-m3-p2614.aspx

        Looking FW to dropping the 93 octane VF700 numbers in the next few months ;-)

        I have so many cars I want and I may just have to kill myself if I see a new 700 crank hp S/C kit on the cheap... I mean check out some of the E46 for sale

        http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...54821757&Log=0
      1. Mike@VAC's Avatar
        Mike@VAC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
        I have so many cars I want and I may just have to kill myself if I see a new 700 crank hp S/C kit on the cheap... I mean check out some of the E46 for sale
        Click here to enlarge

        We built a S54 Z3M that made 708hp on 100 octane. He wanted to run on 100 octane to be safe as he has a station that pumps it near his home. Our goal with the next build will be 700hp on 93+meth - should be possible.

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...28seriously%29
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        ^ Sick plate.
      1. SexiPYm3's Avatar
        SexiPYm3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        I'm sure at 540whp and quick power delivery, an e46M3 is a load of fun. I mean with the weight difference that's gotta keep it close to a 6MT e92 M3 no?
        540whp e46M3 will walk away from a 6MT e92 M3. Not even a fair match.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
        540whp e46M3 will walk away from a 6MT e92 M3. Not even a fair match.
        Interesting, so more like DCT e92 eh? Would love to see a roll race between the two.
      1. SexiPYm3's Avatar
        SexiPYm3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Interesting, so more like DCT e92 eh? Would love to see a roll race between the two.
        If we are talking a stock e92 m3, it still loses. Yes the dct would help it, but once those turbos spool up, it will start to pull pretty hard at higher speeds. I'm sure there are video on youtube of similar races.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Why are we even talking about a stock E92 M3 DCT that is down by 200 whp? It's not even a race.
      1. SexiPYm3's Avatar
        SexiPYm3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why are we even talking about a stock E92 M3 DCT that is down by 200 whp? It's not even a race.
        Its not a race at all. But I guess everyone doesn't have as much experience with these 2 cars to compare. Just shedding some light.
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im.../04/evl9-1.jpg

        We built a S54 Z3M that made 708hp on 100 octane. He wanted to run on 100 octane to be safe as he has a station that pumps it near his home. Our goal with the next build will be 700hp on 93+meth - should be possible.

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...28seriously%29

        There is a gas station on Long Island that sells 100+ octane Click here to enlarge
      1. Group.america's Avatar
        Group.america -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im.../04/evl9-1.jpg

        We built a S54 Z3M that made 708hp on 100 octane. He wanted to run on 100 octane to be safe as he has a station that pumps it near his home. Our goal with the next build will be 700hp on 93+meth - should be possible.

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...28seriously%29

        Just starting reading that thread... incredible build... wondering what an E85 build in lieu of 100 oct would produce from that beast