Close

    • Testing 991.2 C4S sport cats w/ PSE, catless, and full Soul PP trackback exhaust

      Some interesting exhaust testing here from Soul Performance Products showing the difference between HJS HD 200 cell sport catalytic converters with the PSE, cat bypass pipes with PSE, and their full three inch trackback exhaust.


      The testing took place at AWE-Tuning with their Mustang dynamometer. AWE-Tuning adjust their Mustang to read like a Dynojet so ignore the peak figures. Focus on the delta between the runs.

      Let's start with the sport cats with the factory PSE:


      Solid gains throughout the curve with just a catalytic converter change.

      Next up are cat bypass pipes:


      Slightly more torque and a top end power gain but really not enough to warrant going catless over catted. That is, unless you want more sound and to spend less money.

      Next up is a full straight pipe three inch Soul Performance Product exhaust:


      There is definitely power and torque to pick up in the exhaust if getting rid of the factory cats. Whether that be for sport cats or straight pipes is up to you.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Testing 991.2 C4S sport cats w/ PSE, catless, and full Soul PP trackback exhaust started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 17 Comments
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Jealous. Good stuff! Would be nice if an user could also confirm the gain.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        Jealous. Good stuff! Would be nice if an user could also confirm the gain.
        I'm talking to them. We'll see Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        The Sport Cats are $2400. Ouch.

        The directional HJS HD 200 cell catalytic converters are appropriately sized for the power level of the 991.2 Carrera, well in the range of the greater advertised power gains that we’ve seen with tunes as well. The flow path is optimized to utilize the entirety of the catalysts for proper exhaust scrubbing, resulting in no check engine lights.

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Cat bypass is $895

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Sounds with PSE and sport cats:

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        PSE with cat bypass:

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The Sport Cats are $2400. Ouch.
        It's been pointed out to me that this price is cheaper than anyone else on the market and that's true.

        In my mind I guess I was hoping to spend less!
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Yeah thats actually cheaper than SpeedTech $150. Soundwise it is hard to listen in vid but so far i cant tell much diff fr speedtech.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        Yeah thats actually cheaper than SpeedTech $150. Soundwise it is hard to listen in vid but so far i cant tell much diff fr speedtech.
        I'm considering testing these sport cats out. I have some tuners skeptical of the claimed gains. Independent results would help, right?

        I also want to buy those GTS turbos though... man. I need a money tree.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Agreed on the gain. ST uses the same 200 cpi HJS cat and mine shows no gain so....I do hope the gain is real as I might switch if that's the case.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        Agreed on the gain. ST uses the same 200 cpi HJS cat and mine shows no gain so....I do hope the gain is real as I might switch if that's the case.
        I don't want to pay all that money to find out. Independent test numbers are a big selling point.
      1. ///M3THOD's Avatar
        ///M3THOD -
        In the intro it's commented to ignore the peak numbers due to dyno tuning. So my take away from this is that the catless bypass pipes are picking up nearly double as the high flow 200 cell cats then? Curious to see how these numbers change with some tuning, I expect to see the bypass pipes put down significantly more power once exhaust volume increases.

        I also think it's worth mentioning the catted version of these may not flow as well as the Fabspeed design with exhaust valves open due to secondary outlet coming off the primary outlet as opposed to its own dedicated line directly behind the core.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        @Sticky did they let you test their cats for some free ad? ;-)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        @Sticky did they let you test their cats for some free ad? ;-)
        We might work something out, we'll see.

        Still have to test out those headers too.
      1. Soul Performance Products's Avatar
        Soul Performance Products -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        In the intro it's commented to ignore the peak numbers due to dyno tuning. So my take away from this is that the catless bypass pipes are picking up nearly double as the high flow 200 cell cats then? Curious to see how these numbers change with some tuning, I expect to see the bypass pipes put down significantly more power once exhaust volume increases.
        I also think it's worth mentioning the catted version of these may not flow as well as the Fabspeed design with exhaust valves open due to secondary outlet coming off the primary outlet as opposed to its own dedicated line directly behind the core.
        We're very sure that with a tune, results will be dramatically different as the ECU will be able to take advantage of the increased flow. Maybe BoostAddict will help us get those numbers, at least that's what we're hoping! Click here to enlarge

        We chose an appropriately sized catalytic converter for the expected power levels, even with a tune - no need for an offset cap design.We designed both versions to offer unrestricted, straight through flow with valves open. The flow path also encourages a better delta in sound between operation modes, with valves closed the angle of tube exit will help with cutting down on noise. If someone is modifying the catalytic converters, we imagine their primary goal is increasing power and sound with valves open and maintaining a respectable level of sound with valves closed. In person, it's quite a noticeable difference!

        Quattro - we'd love to chat! Those numbers are very real. We approached AWE Tuning to do our testing, which was bold as they are a competitor, but we believe working together benefits all.

        Mike@soulpp.com
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Thanks for the note Mike. I will wait to see if master Sticky could confirm. I currently have SpeedTech (cats and x pipe). Will your cats fit SpeedTech x-pipe? Or, i would need to use the stock PSE muffler with it?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        Thanks for the note Mike. I will wait to see if master Sticky could confirm. I currently have SpeedTech (cats and x pipe). Will your cats fit SpeedTech x-pipe? Or, i would need to use the stock PSE muffler with it?
        @Soul Performance Products
      1. Soul Performance Products's Avatar
        Soul Performance Products -
        Quattro, our Sport Catalytic Converters are designed within the window of the factory parts and bolt into the same locations as factory. If the SpeedTech exhaust uses the factory mating points, you should have no issues!