Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shift Sector Race

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Shift Sector Race

Hey guys,

Just got back from the Shift Sector runway race. All told it was around a 7 hour drive round trip including a snow storm (!) Friday night going over the pass. Only had a few hrs of sleep last night. So I'm fairly exhausted.

The event didn't quite turn in to the FFTEC vs. RB turbo shoot out we were all expecting. Apparently they wanted to use today to tune the cars and tomorrow to race them. So I didn't race any single turbo cars and I don't think any of the other RB cars there today did either.

The FFTEC guys and their customers were great and Shiv was a gentlemen as usual. Although he voiced his displeasure at me asking his customers to race. Not that I was expecting to beat anyone but as I told him when am I going to see 7 single turbo cars in the same spot again? He asked me to come back Sunday to race but that didn't work for my family & schedule.

Other than that I had a great time. I ran the 135 in 500rw trim and it did very well. It was running around 160mph at the cones and did a best of 7.8 60-130 on the VBOX on an incline. It was fender to fender with Eric's tuned E63 (580rw), and put a few cars on Longboarder's supercharged DCT M3 (~560rw IIRC).

After the morning runs 5th gear started acting up again so I lowered the additive from 80 to 70 to reduce the power a bit. It helped for a run but then finally let go on my last run. "Sick335" who also has RBs also lost 5th gear. So it appears this may become a trend for those running these power levels. I'll start troubleshooting it. David was there in his manual trans RB car and was hauling ass all day. Overall I think the RBs did very well.

The only other N54 I was personally able to race was Wedge's who came all the way down from Oregon for the event. FFTEC told me he put out 500rw on the dyno with stock turbos. It sounded a bit high to me but it seemed to be something they were keeping under wraps so I didn't ask too many questions.

Our first run we were not able to coordinate the start. I got up to 50mph at the cones, but he was a few cars behind, so I slowed down, then he went, then I went, then I think he slowed down, so I slowed down, and then next thing I knew I wound up a couple cars behind having to chase him down. The next race we had the same problem only I just left when I got to the cones with him maybe a car behind. Second race I just let the trans shift itself at redline hoping it would hold 5th but at around 140mph 5th gear finally let go so I just coasted through the cones. I didn't see how far back he was. By then it was 3:30pm and they closed the lanes for the "top dog" races, so I headed home.

Will post up some logs, etc, when I can. I see I have 58 emails awaiting me so I'll get to work on those in the AM.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 11-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Is this what has occasionally happened to me at the drag strip..
    twice since i got in the 11s ive shifted into 4th at 6100rpm or so and it jumped back to 3rd and redlined out b4 auto shifting into 4th again...
    Sucked lol
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Awesome!! 500whp on stock turbos.... hmmmmmmm. Jam a ton of meth in preturbo with FBO and upgraded 3 bar... MAYBE. Not for long I'd think. Theres always N2O as an alternative.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Awesome!! 500whp on stock turbos.... hmmmmmmm. Jam a ton of meth in preturbo with FBO and upgraded 3 bar... MAYBE. Not for long I'd think. Theres always N2O as an alternative.
    It seemed to run well and the owner was a legitimately cool guy. Based on how it was running I'd guess it's making 450-460rw.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Interesting, in the thread about shift sector, On the " other forum" , people are already saying a flex fuel Vishnu car can keep up with a RB car .... talking about your race Terry

Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Vishnu fanboys spewing propaganda already. That forum sucks. It's too bad too because I know some really cool procede guys. A few ruin the rep of all of them.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Almost done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Heh really? Well, I think they might be setting themselves up for disappointment. My 135i ran 125mph with stock turbos and would consistently go 122-123mph. Same as their flex fuel cars run stock turbos. I've done 131mph VBOX with the RBs. I think Wedge is running fast for whatever it has but in my experience RB turbos are worth a good 50-60 over OEM turbos all else being equal. He told me he's run 118mph at the track. I didn't have much problem passing him by on the 70 additive on the first run but for stock turbos I think he was running on pace with what my 135 used to run stock turbos. The second run I used a 65 additive. So about 475rw and was not really paying attention to him but he was definitely behind...

All the guys were fairly cool, even SIKH. I think maybe some of them were a little disappointed they didn't get to do much with their cars today so are just talking up whatever they can.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Vishnu fanboys spewing propaganda already. That forum sucks. It's too bad too because I know some really cool procede guys. A few ruin the rep of all of them.
    The same can be said about any other tune/tuner and their following.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

To an extent yes. To me it's like if you're a republican you watch Fox News because of their right biased reporting. If you're a democrat you watch CNN because of their left biased reporting.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    The same can be said about any other tune and their following.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Fox "News"
    fixed Click here to enlarge
    335xi (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Interesting, in the thread about shift sector, On the " other forum" , people are already saying a flex fuel Vishnu car can keep up with a RB car .... talking about your race Terry
    Feel free to copy my above comments over there. I've posted dynos on a 90, 80, & 70 additive so it's not much of a secret on what our 135i is putting down. If they think a stock turbo flex fuel car can match my 7.4 60-130mph and 131mph trap on a VBOX then it should be easy to go out tonight and prove it. There are lots of nice long flat roads out there and perfect weather. I enjoyed a few of those roads on the way home tonight while on the race gas. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I can't wait to see some vids from the races.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Shiv posted that the last run between you two was "interesting" as well....honestly I'm not going to get into the bull$#@! that goes on over there , if they think a flex fuel stock turbo car can keep up with a RB car then they are idiots... Someone else can copy and paste if they are bored lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

An RB car, especially one that is lighter, should win... but Bob were you there or are your comments about people being idiots based purely on speculation? I'd like to see how close it all was, even if it was only kind of close it would be very impressive in my opinion. But that's just me. Can't wait for the videos.
    335xi (sold)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    An RB car, especially one that is lighter, should win... but Bob were you there or are your comments purely speculation? I'd like to see how close it all was, even if it was only kind of close it would be very impressive in my opinion. But that's just me. Can't wait for the videos.
    I wasn't there, and my comments are purely speculation, but common sense would tell you a stock turbo e85 car doesn't put down the same numbers as a RB equipped meth car, maybe it does, but I haven't seen one do it yet....so thats why I made that comment

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This may be a little out there.. But is it possible that Wedge's car did have some some upgraded OEM turbos and isn't telling the public. Would seem like a strategy to make BMS look bad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey guys, Wedge here. I have to admit it was very nice meeting Terry and we actually had a good time racing. Unfortunatly with Terry's transmission issues and our lack of coordination with our starts, we didn't really provide a solid win/loose situation. (but very close) I can tell you that I did put down 422 RWHP and 448 FT/LBS on FFTEC's Mustang dyno. I pulled on that dyno last spring at the open house and only made 365 RWHP with meth and pump gas. Also Terry commented about my trap times at 118, but those were on an old flash and e85 tune with only 2 deg of advance. Unfortunately I can't give you actual 1/4 mile traps today because I just flashed and tuned yesterday for this weekends event. Also, it's hard to compair a stripped out 135 and a full weight 335, not to mention I have well over 100 lbs on Terry. So all in all, it was a fun race and we both had a good time. I'll be there again tomorrow, so if anyone else wants to see first hand what the back end of my car looks like, feel free to look me up. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Sorry, nice try.... Stock turbos with VRSF DPs and stock cat back exhaust.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by exZackt Click here to enlarge
    This may be a little out there.. But is it possible that Wedge's car did have some some upgraded OEM turbos and isn't telling the public. Would seem like a strategy to make BMS look bad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Ok so just trying to get the gist of this, Terry has upgraded turbos in his 135 and this wedge fellow is running a procede flex fuel setup in a 335? And apparently his car did fairly well?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Ding Ding Ding, we have winner. Click here to enlarge BTW, Flex w/Meth and that's 100% e85 and 100% Meth. Yes, the care did very well. It was a blast... I did get my ass handed to me by two girls in a new ZR1... But it was worth it...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok so just trying to get the gist of this, Terry has upgraded turbos in his 135 and this wedge fellow is running a procede flex fuel setup in a 335? And apparently his car did fairly well?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Ding Ding Ding, we have winner. Click here to enlarge BTW, Flex w/Meth and that's 100% e85 and 100% Meth. Yes, the care did very well. It was a blast... I did get my ass handed to me by two girls in a new ZR1... But it was worth it...
    What transmission?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Well, almost. So you run lots of Ethanol, shoot meth post turbo with FBO and lots of timing and you make really big numbers.

I actually want to try pre-turbo injection on the stock turbos, but with water. I've read it can increase the efficancy of the turbo as much as 15%. Anything to make a few more power.

Edit- Don't need a 3.5bar unless you're over 21psi. I only peak at 21...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by WedgePerformance; 11-11-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: forgot the 3 bar

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

AT, same as Terry.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What transmission?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Is this what has occasionally happened to me at the drag strip..?
    twice since i got in the 11s ive shifted into 4th at 6100rpm or so and it jumped back to 3rd and redlined out b4 auto shifting into 4th again...
    Sucked lol
    bump? lol
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wedge1967 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry, nice try.... Stock turbos with VRSF DPs and stock cat back exhaust.
    Good to see you here man! Awesome runs, @cwarren and I are looking forward to look over those videos when you get back here.
    '10 E92 335i, COBB

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast