Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Cayman Turbo on the way? Turbocharged four-cylinder with 350 horsepower may debut at the Frankfurt show in 2013

This is not really "new" news. In July of last year PorscheBoost reported that a 350 horsepower 2.5 liter turbocharged four-cylinder would make its way into the new Cayman and Boxster. It was expected for this motor to take longer to go into the model however as the rumor was the motor would make its debut when the 981 Cayman and Boxster received a facelift somewhere around 2015. Reports not indicate the car with the turbo motor will make its debut as early as next year in Frankfurt.

Rather than being positioned as entry level it seems this will pave the way for a range topping Cayman Turbo. With 350 horses it will likely outperform the standard 911 Carrera causing heads to explode. The 350 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque is said to be offered with PDK only but this makes little sense with PDK and manual options both available in the 981 range as of right now.

Is Porsche finally ready to take the leash off the Boxster and Cayman? Let's hope so, although a turbocharged 2.5 liter four cylinder with 350 horses is hardly as great as putting the upcoming 991 GT3 motor in the Cayman/Boxster platform for a real razor sharp racecar or allowing the Cayman/Boxster to utilize the range of 911 motors that already exist.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

4 banger right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwtek Click here to enlarge
    4 banger right?
    Ya that's what it says...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ya that's what it says...
    My bad Hellen Keller was on my account before

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

This might be nice. Do you think it will shed much weight and I bet the price will be high.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    This might be nice. Do you think it will shed much weight and I bet the price will be high.
    I doubt the four cylinder turbo will be any lighter, likely slightly heavier due to associated turbo hardware.

It won't be cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Damn a 4 cylinder turbo with that much hp. Must be a pretty big ass turbo... They always leave room for more power cause they can't really strain the turbo with stock settings. Not very economical that way. This car will rip a new $#@! with some bolt ons and tune.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Would be surprising to me if they actually put such a thing into production, since I think it will have too much overlap with the base carrera.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Damn a 4 cylinder turbo with that much hp. Must be a pretty big ass turbo... They always leave room for more power cause they can't really strain the turbo with stock settings. Not very economical that way. This car will rip a new $#@! with some bolt ons and tune.
    Haven't EVO's been delivering this much HP and more even in stock form for a while now from a smaller motor? With this being direct injected and higher compression at 2.5 liters I doubt the turbo needs to be all that big.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    Would be surprising to me if they actually put such a thing into production, since I think it will have too much overlap with the base carrera.
    There's already overlap. It's time for them to stop neutering the Boxster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's already overlap. It's time for them to stop neutering the Boxster.
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Haven't EVO's been delivering this much HP and more even in stock form for a while now from a smaller motor? With this being direct injected and higher compression at 2.5 liters I doubt the turbo needs to be all that big.
    Yea, Evo has horrible turbo lag though for a stock turbo car. It's pretty much the same size as my stock turbo was. I'm guessing it will all be around that same size.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yea, Evo has horrible turbo lag though for a stock turbo car. It's pretty much the same size as my stock turbo was. I'm guessing it will all be around that same size.
    With more displacement and higher compression I don't think it will be as laggy as an EVO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

With more displacement and higher compression I don't think it will be as laggy as an EVO.
    Hope it comes out, Porsche really makes some badass cars/engines. I would love one when I can afford it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

A lot of that lag has tons to do with fuel and timing. Evo's are super rich from the factory. Especially the newest iteration. Hopefully Porsche doesnt do this as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

going the way of the 931 and the 951 (924 and 944 turbos)....interesting to see how this will turn out. The 951s would put the hurting on a 911 in a roadcourse setup due to their 50/50 weight balance..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AR Design II Click here to enlarge
    A lot of that lag has tons to do with fuel and timing. Evo's are super rich from the factory. Especially the newest iteration. Hopefully Porsche doesnt do this as well.
    Not too familiar with Evo's. Would this reasoning be behind an economical/MPG reasoning. I mean most factory turbo cars always leave lots of room for power.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

A 350hp turbo 981 would get me out of my 987 in a heartbeat.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    A 350hp turbo 981 would get me out of my 987 in a heartbeat.
    Well then start saving up as it's coming Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Audi's 2.5 TFSI R5 would be better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eryk03 Click here to enlarge
    Audi's 2.5 TFSI R5 would be better.
    Better in what ways? It may have more ultimate grip, but it will also be heavier and less of a pure driver due to AWD.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

yeah, I would take one of these.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Better in what ways? It may have more ultimate grip, but it will also be heavier and less of a pure driver due to AWD.
    No, he's saying that motor under the hood of this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

No, he's saying that motor under the hood of this car.
    Not sure why he said R5 then... I think we all know what the 2.5 5 pot is. Click here to enlarge

As good as the Audi motor is, packaging it into the cayman body would be interesting. It's taller and (presumably) longer than the flat six.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I'm having flashbacks to my old 71 914 LOL... I would not pay for a 4cyl turbo Porsche nowadays, granted my 944 Turbo S was an awesome car in its day I still miss it. But for me a Boxster/Cayman is a 6cyl car or its not the same IMO. I will be interested in seeing the weight of the car and balance.

The Audi R5 is a potential car they may build as I recall.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast