Close

    • Porsche 991.2 Carrera/S/GTS 9A2B6 3.0 tuning will remain stagnant until a 3.0+ BAR MAP sensor solution is found

      You may have noticed that after the initial wave of tunes came out for the Porsche 991.2 3.0 platform things have stalled. The only major development is upgraded turbos but whether running bigger turbos or not everyone is limited by the MAP sensor.


      What is a MAP sensor? Good question:

      The manifold absolute pressure sensor is one of the sensors used in an internal combustion engine's electronic control system. Engines that use a MAP sensor are typically fuel injected. The manifold absolute pressure sensor provides instantaneous manifold pressure information to the engine's electronic control unit.
      The data provided by the MAP sensor is relayed to the ECU which then conducts speed-density calculations on the fly with other data points. Basically, the ECU knows how much fuel the engine needs and is able to adjust timing as necessary based on the data.

      So what is the problem? We are limited to 22.5 psi by the MAP sensor. Some asshat at Porsche sat down at a table with the engineers and they decided it would be fun to piss PorscheBoost.com off. The idea obviously is to prevent people from modifying their Carreras to stomp 911 Turbos.

      The 997.2 Turbo MAP sensor limited boost to roughly 22.5 psi as well. The solution? A 3 BAR sensor. You could buy this sensor and plug it in then a tuner would be able to get the car to produce some serious boost assuming you had the supporting hardware.

      Right now the PorscheBoost.com project 991.2 is limited to 22.5 psi with its upgraded turbochargers. A large jump over the factory 13.1 psi figure and higher than even the GTS at 18.0 psi but still frustratingly limiting when wanting high boost race gas tuning. That means while 30+ psi on race gas is desired the system will not let you do that. Plugging in a Bosch 3 BAR sensor is not a possibility either.

      Why? Because of the way the ECU is configured. Porsche encrypts the data to and from the MAP sensor and the ECU decrypts it on the fly. This encryption was discussed in a PorscheBoost article on the Siemens ECU last year.

      Tuners such as Cobb have been promising race gas and ethanol tune files for months now but these are just promises until the MAP sensor restriction is solved or circumvented. Tuners have not been up front regarding what the problem really is.

      Is there any solution? Well, Syvecs and their standalone ECU is a possibility. The problem is Syvecs is backed up with work but they have working 991.2 Turbo solutions which will carry over. Someone needs to get them a 991.2 3.0 to work on.

      In the meantime PorscheBoost/BoostAddict have some tricks up the sleeve in order to make some big power.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Porsche 991.2 Carrera/S/GTS 9A2B6 3.0 tuning will remain stagnant until a 3.0+ BAR MAP sensor solution is found started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 22 Comments
      1. flsupraguy's Avatar
        flsupraguy -
        Nice. I wanted to go Syvecs on my turbo r8 but it was about13k before install.....:/
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flsupraguy Click here to enlarge
        Nice. I wanted to go Syvecs on my turbo r8 but it was about13k before install.....:/
        Not sure why so much.

        A setup for the 991.2 Carrera should start at $5k or so if they use the unit I'm thinking of.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Dude you would be very surprised to know how little manufacturers care about aftermarket tuning. There must be a reason that “asshat” used a 1.5 bar MAP swnsor and thats because the car only needed a 1.5 bar MAP sensor, nothing less or nothing more. Why bother with scaling for higher pressures in order to use a lets say 2 bar sensor when all it needs is a 1.5 bar sensor? Just doesn’t make sense.

        Can’t you use a piggyback with extra map sensor to overcome this situation?
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Dude you would be very surprised to know how little manufacturers care about aftermarket tuning. There must be a reason that “asshat” used a 1.5 bar MAP swnsor and thats because the car only needed a 1.5 bar MAP sensor, nothing less or nothing more. Why bother with scaling for higher pressures in order to use a lets say 2 bar sensor when all it needs is a 1.5 bar sensor? Just doesn’t make sense.

        Can’t you use a piggyback with extra map sensor to overcome this situation?
        You are right that the map sensor decision is based on what works but the new encryption and decryption protocol is because they do not want tuning.

        The piggyback solution may work. We need to try it.

        The point is we can't just plug in a new sensor.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Let's see if we can find a workaround.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        There should be a workaround.

        OEM P/N is 06E.906.051.AA or 9A7.906.051.10 and it is a 300KPA sensor (3.0 BAR absolute), not sure where you are getting the 2.5 bar information.

        Bosch P/N is 0261232022

        There are two pressure sensors, one on the pressure (y-pipe) and the other on the right side intake manifold).

        The boost pressure sensor you posted fits the following vehicles:


        • 2007-2009 Porsche 911 (997) (Turbo/ GT2)
        • 2010-2013 Porsche 911 (997.2) (Turbo/ Turbo S)
        • 2003-2006 Porsche Cayenne (955) (Turbo/ Turbo S 4.5L V8)
        • 2009-2010 Porsche Cayenne (957)
        • 2011-2014 Porsche Cayenne (958)
        • 2010-2013 Porsche Panamera (970)
        • 2014 Porsche Panamera (970.2) 4.8L V8
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        There should be a workaround.

        OEM P/N is 06E.906.051.AA or 9A7.906.051.10 and it is a 300KPA sensor (3.0 BAR absolute), not sure where you are getting the 2.5 bar information.

        Bosch P/N is 0261232022
        The sensor I posted was just a generic Porsche sensor to accompany the article.

        From what I understand 3.0 BAR sensors on the 997.2 Turbo will let you read up to 30 PSI.

        Tuners are telling me 22.5 psi is the limit on the 991.2 3.0 right now. Is this accurate? I would hope so as multiple tuners have stated this. Maybe something else is limiting but what? What makes you say the factory sensors are 3 BAR?

        Anyway, we are limited right now and maybe we can find a workaround.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        JB4 stack FTW!!!

        Click here to enlarge
      1. flsupraguy's Avatar
        flsupraguy -
        na dude do a powerafc
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        This is why we need to get into this market too. That's child's play for Terry, he can whip something up in a matter of minutes for a 4 bar sensor.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        This is why we need to get into this market too. That's child's play for Terry, he can whip something up in a matter of minutes for a 4 bar sensor.
        Well he he had my car... he can have it again.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The sensor I posted was just a generic Porsche sensor to accompany the article.

        From what I understand 3.0 BAR sensors on the 997.2 Turbo will let you read up to 30 PSI.

        Tuners are telling me 22.5 psi is the limit on the 991.2 3.0 right now. Is this accurate? I would hope so as multiple tuners have stated this. Maybe something else is limiting but what? What makes you say the factory sensors are 3 BAR?

        Anyway, we are limited right now and maybe we can find a workaround.
        I pulled the technical data from Bosch.

        The 9A2 sensor is rated for 300KPA. Ideally they would like to find a compatible 350-400KPA sensor.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        This is why we need to get into this market too. That's child's play for Terry, he can whip something up in a matter of minutes for a 4 bar sensor.
        He already has, since the 9A2 Porsche has the identical pressure sensors as the B9 S4.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        1bar = 100kpa, Therefore if the sensor is 300kpa that is 3bar.

        1bar is about 14.5 psi (close to atmospheric pressure 14.7 psi)
        2 bar is 29 psi of total pressure reading or 14.5psi of boost
        2.5 bar is 36.26 psi of total pressure reading or 22.5 psi of boost
        3 bar is 43.5 psi of total pressure reading or 29psi of boost

        since the carrera s and gts have stock boost over 14.5psi they must have a stock map sensor higher than 2bar for the ecu to read the pressure. Perhaps it’s a 2.5bar sensor?
        the base carrera stock boost is 13.1 but I assume it’s got the same map sensor as the S and GTS
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        997.2 turbo s used OEM 2.5bar sensor....no reason the believe Porsche also wouldn’t have used one in 991.2
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        I pulled the technical data from Bosch.

        The 9A2 sensor is rated for 300KPA. Ideally they would like to find a compatible 350-400KPA sensor.
        I was talking to someone and they said our sensor is unique in how it sends/receives info.

        So just plugging in any other sensor will not work with our ECU unless it was designed for our ECU.

        So we're still at square one.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        997.2 turbo s used OEM 2.5bar sensor....no reason the believe Porsche also wouldn’t have used one in 991.2
        I'm curious about the 991.2 Turbo sensor. Hopefully we can get details on that.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        I gave you all the details you need to know, the OEM p/n and the Bosch p/n. Bosch technical data states it is a 300KPA.

        I do not think the sensor is what is holding up the tuners, it is more than likely the DME and inability to access the tables.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        I gave you all the details you need to know, the OEM p/n and the Bosch p/n. Bosch technical data states it is a 300KPA.

        I do not think the sensor is what is holding up the tuners, it is more than likely the DME and inability to access the tables.
        Just relaying what I was told.

        Nobody has a high boost tune for a reason...
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        I gave you all the details you need to know, the OEM p/n and the Bosch p/n. Bosch technical data states it is a 300KPA.

        I do not think the sensor is what is holding up the tuners, it is more than likely the DME and inability to access the tables.
        Yeah its more likely just internal torque limits and checks in the ECU but again who really knows? Sounds like the tuners aren't really talking openly about what the issue is so they can be the first to fix it.