Close

    • Another Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. Tesla Model S Performance drag race - 131.6 mph 1/4 mile Taycan Turbo S trap speed

      Expect to see a lot of these drag race videos comparing the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S in the next few months. The Porsche Taycan Turbo S is obviously aimed at the Tesla Model S and the Model S is known for doing one thing best: drag racing.


      The Germans already drag raced the two. The Germans do love their Porsches though so let's see what result Top Gear recorded.


      It is close, extremely close. The Taycan Turbo S pulls up top but it sure takes a while to do so.

      Fortunately Vbox data was provided:


      131.6 miles per hour of trap speed for the Taycan Turbo S? It is going to be much harder to take down from a roll it seems than any Tesla including the Model S Performance.

      Stout performance to be sure.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Another Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. Tesla Model S P100D drag race - 131.6 mph 1/4 mile Taycan Turbo S trap speed started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Correction, this Tesla Model S isn't the "P100D" anymore. It is just called the Model S Performance and this supposedly one has the new "Raven" drivetrain. This new one has the newer Model 3 Permanent magnet motor (from the rear of the 3) in place of the old S front induction motor.
        It also has upgraded suspension and battery etc.

        That makes this test even more impressive because its not just beating the same old P100D.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Exactly!!! Funny that with even better tools, it runs slower than older model according to TG. From Jalopnik

        We drag raced the Taycan and the Tesla Model S five times, and each time the result was the same – the Porsche was faster.

        The figures for the Tesla that we published alongside the story were the fastest figures we had ever recorded for a Model S, achieved on a previous occasion.

        These figures were slightly faster than those achieved on the day when the Tesla was racing back to back with the Taycan. The important point remains, however, that in our tests the Porsche consistently edged the Model S.


        Still tho, for the value, Tesla did pretty decent!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        Correction, this Tesla Model S isn't the "P100D" anymore. It is just called the Model S Performance and this supposedly one has the new "Raven" drivetrain.
        Great, they keep changing things.

        So how does 'Raven' differ?
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Great, they keep changing things.

        So how does 'Raven' differ?
        All the previous dual motor model S had two AC induction motors (front and back). They have up and downsides but the model 3’s permanent magnet synchronous motor is newer technology and higher power density and just better.

        The Taycan and most other EVs also use Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors but they are more expensive to make and have more complex electric controls for electric commutation.

        The “Raven” has the old S induction motor in the rear and the new PMSM from the rear of the model 3 on the front axle instead of the older induction motor.

        the Raven also has a new active suspension and a slightly better battery but I think it’s still 100kwh just maybe allows higher peak power output.

        The Raven also has a higher top speed of like 163 instead of 155 or whatever.

        so the Raven should be much faster and the Taycan clearly is still faster over and over (which is crazy because Tesla rates the power of the Raven significantly higher than the Taycan and it is also lighter than the Taycan...so trapping 131.6 vs 124 is a huuuuge surprise and means the Porsche is underrated (as I have been saying it would be all along) and/or the Tesla is overrated.

        what is crazy and disappointing is Musk and his cult of fangirls instead of just accepting it and waiting for more data they scream “FAKE NEEWWWSSSS” and throw tantrums and Musk just came out on twitter claiming he will now push a software update to increase the Tesla power by 50 hp Lolol.
        50 hp won’t even make up for the almost 8mph trap speed difference
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Funny you say that because it is actually fake news, top gear didn’t post the real numbers of the newer Tesla they recycled numbers from a previous test.



        drag times explains the entire thing
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        ^ posted above it is already stated they went with the fastest numbers because the Tesla was not quicker that day. Not sure how it is fake news.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        Funny you say that because it is actually fake news, top gear didn’t post the real numbers of the newer Tesla they recycled numbers from a previous test.



        drag times explains the entire thing
        lol you are so wrong. They only recycled the numbers because the new Tesla put up such pathetic numbers they went with the faster previous data. They were doing the Tesla a favor and it still flopped.

        the fact that Tesla claims it has more power than the Taycan is laughable and Elon immediately getting so butthurt and crying fake news is pathetic and if anything proves the test is factual. Idiots scream “fake news” the loudest when they are the ones spewing fake news.

        I honestly don’t hate Tesla cars and would probably buy one eventually but Elon and his fangirls are some of the worst people on earth and honestly turns me off the whole brand.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
        but Elon and his fangirls are some of the worst people on earth and honestly turns me off the whole brand.
        This is the exact reason I will never buy a Tesla. Most of them weren't even born when Porsche had its first EV.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        This is the exact reason I will never buy a Tesla. Most of them weren't even born when Porsche had its first EV.
        Porsche had its first EV in 1900.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Porsche made the top ev sports car, no doubt, but you have to pay nearly 200k$ and 2x more than the model S, which is a 7 seater capable ev sedan not a sports car, never claimed it was, that is also based on a very old overall engineering design. Hence it doesn’t even have the battery cooling technology that the lower model model 3 does. So it’s at a severe disadvantage to the newly designed taycan.

        The fact that people are still comparing the model s to the best of the best is a testament to it. I feel the ones that call others fangirls in an attempt to insult them are the biggest fangirls.

        The real competition to the 200k$ taycan would be the 200k new roadster, that’s a more apples to apples comparison I’m looking forward to.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Porsche had its first EV in 1900.
        Click here to enlarge
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        The real competition to the 200k$ taycan would be the 200k new roadster, that’s a more apples to apples comparison I’m looking forward to.

        I'm not Tesla expert but now you r comparing 2 seaters w a family sedan? Wait until the nephew the Porsche's family will release their sport coupe then you could compare theirs.

        The point is to make a car that could drive like a 911. They could care less Abt beating Tesla but certainly a bonus ;-)
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        I'm not Tesla expert but now you r comparing 2 seaters w a family sedan? Wait until the nephew the Porsche's family will release their sport coupe then you could compare theirs.

        The point is to make a car that could drive like a 911. They could care less Abt beating Tesla but certainly a bonus ;-)
        the new roadster is also a four seater benchmarked off the 911, so again, it’s a more apples to apples comparison.

        the only argument left that exists is when is it coming out.....we shall see.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        the only argument left that exists is when is it coming out
        Or if it comes out?
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Or if it comes out?
        when will haters lay off this argument? You start a car company and try not to miss a date, Jesus Christ the bar you guys have is way to high. come back to Earth kids. He’s about to launch his 5th damn car and he’s still doubted? whatever keep spouting the same $#@!, nothing he does will change your mind anyway.

        they had a roadster running prototype giving people rides and these were experienced Tesla fans who would know acceleration when they felt it, it’s also on video accelerating, so the platform is there, the power is there, I think it’s the claimed range that’s the main hurdle, 620miles isn’t just beating the taycan it’s more than double the taycan.That’s the part where Elon bit off more than currently available battery technology could chew.

        lets see what happens, even if it’s delayed, I don’t care, I still give credit where credit is due, look back at other pioneers In history, are they without failures along the way? Were they perfect? Yet you still give them credit for their accomplishments and hold them with high regards.

        Tesla haters are quite the judgy bunch I wonder what people would think if we opened up the books to see how Tesla haters have made decisions in their own lives? What people would think.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        when will haters lay off this argument? You start a car company and try not to miss a date, Jesus Christ the bar you guys have is way to high. come back to Earth kids. He’s about to launch his 5th damn car and he’s still doubted? whatever keep spouting the same $#@!, nothing he does will change your mind anyway.
        Not true. I've watched the process as my dad tries to buy a Model 3 Performance from Tesla.

        It's a $#@! show as they can't deliver on anything they promised and they miss every date.

        Isn't this supposed to be a professional company? Half of it is built on hype.