Close

    • The real world difference between a tuned 2017 991.2 C4S 3.0 and a stock C4S

      There are people out there that no matter how many graphs you show them of gains they just will not believe it. Well, you can ignore a dynograph but it is difficult to ignore what happens in this video.


      You have two PDK 991.2's going at it one with a GIAC tune and one that is stock. Now, there is a lot of talking and some incorrect information (such as the C4S weight) to get through before they race.

      Do yourself a favor and skip to the 3:50 mark:


      Not much of a race, is it? They run again and the result is the same. The tuned car demolishes the stock car.

      Pretty impressive considering the GIAC tune isn't even what you would call a strong tune on the platform.

      To those Porsche owners out there still doubting tuned turbo cars (what year are you living in?) there is your proof.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: The real world difference between a tuned 2017 991.2 C4S 3.0 and a stock C4S started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 26 Comments
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        When are we going to get an update on the boostaddict 991.2 after the new turbos and intercoolers? Iím hoping for big numbers on the stock engine internals.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        When are we going to get an update on the boostaddict 991.2 after the new turbos and intercoolers? I’m hoping for big numbers on the stock engine internals.
        Not during the holidays...
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        To those Porsche owners out there still doubting tuned turbo cars (what year are you living in?) there is your proof.
        Believe it or not, some drivers prefer a flat torque and could care less about highway pulls or comparing peak figures online in exchange for a massive torque spike and plummet.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Believe it or not, some drivers prefer a flat torque and could care less about highway pulls or comparing peak figures online in exchange for a massive torque spike and plummet.
        I can understand that but I saw some people stating a tune doesn't do anything. Yes, morons.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        I can understand that but I saw some people stating a tune doesn't do anything. Yes, morons.
        Fair enough and a far different story. Half the reason I haven't tuned my macan is that the OTS maps are insanely peaky early on and I don't have a reputable protuner in my area.
      1. kouzman's Avatar
        kouzman -
        the only flaw that I see with this test is the fact that he is comparing a tuned pdk with a stock manual car. PDK cars are faster by design due to the fast shifting gearbox. PDK cars are at least a 0.5 sec faster on the 1/4 mile.

        I wish he could find a stock pdk car and the tuned pdk car to compare. But tons of credit to him. I really like his videos.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kouzman Click here to enlarge
        the only flaw that I see with this test is the fact that he is comparing a tuned pdk with a stock manual car. PDK cars are faster by design due to the fast shifting gearbox. PDK cars are at least a 0.5 sec faster on the 1/4 mile.

        I wish he could find a stock pdk car and the tuned pdk car to compare. But tons of credit to him. I really like his videos.
        didnt he say in the video that was he was borrowing his friends stock pdk 4S to test apples to apples? Did you watch the video?
      1. DaniMonteiro991's Avatar
        DaniMonteiro991 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kouzman Click here to enlarge
        the only flaw that I see with this test is the fact that he is comparing a tuned pdk with a stock manual car. PDK cars are faster by design due to the fast shifting gearbox. PDK cars are at least a 0.5 sec faster on the 1/4 mile.

        I wish he could find a stock pdk car and the tuned pdk car to compare. But tons of credit to him. I really like his videos.
        You have to see the video first... Or read the OP...

        It is a Stock PDK vs a Tuned PDK. They are both PDK.
      1. kouzman's Avatar
        kouzman -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DaniMonteiro991 Click here to enlarge
        You have to see the video first... Or read the OP...

        It is a Stock PDK vs a Tuned PDK. They are both PDK.
        Ha. I actually watched clips of the full video and missed the old part. My bad!

        Nevertheless, quiy e impressive with just a tune!
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Fair enough and a far different story. Half the reason I haven't tuned my macan is that the OTS maps are insanely peaky early on and I don't have a reputable protuner in my area.
        In case you r getting itchy, DimSport piggy is decent. Almost stock torque curve until 6k and decent gain after (snapped back feel in 3rd and 4th). Plug and play.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        In case you r getting itchy, DimSport piggy is decent. Almost stock torque curve until 6k and decent gain after (snapped back feel in 3rd and 4th). Plug and play.
        Now that I'm about to cross the 10k mile marker and the warranty issue jitters have eased up a touch I may actually buy the AP and flash to the GTS map. Looking at the dynos it is more or less in line with what I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd like a tune that is a touch more aggressive than that but it can wait.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        Fair enough and a far different story. Half the reason I haven't tuned my macan is that the OTS maps are insanely peaky early on and I don't have a reputable protuner in my area.
        After driving my dad's Macan I'd want way more down low off the line. It comes on very slowly compared to my stock 991:2 and even a Macan Turbo I drove.

        It needs a tune IMO.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kouzman Click here to enlarge
        Ha. I actually watched clips of the full video and missed the old part. My bad!

        Nevertheless, quiy e impressive with just a tune!
        If it was PDK vs. manual I would have made a huge deal about it.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        After driving my dad's Macan I'd want way more down low off the line. It comes on very slowly compared to my stock 991:2 and even a Macan Turbo I drove.

        It needs a tune IMO.
        Agreed, the car is a dog off the line, but two reasons I'd like a more conservative tune:

        A. The factory tune limits boost to ~11psi in 1st and 2nd vs ~15psi in 3rd and up. Eliminating that alone would probably keep me happy for some time. I haven't gotten any clarity if the GTS has the same restriction, but that alone would probably account for 90% of the 0-60 difference between the two.

        B. If that's not enough, an additional 50 ft lb off an unrestricted 1st and 2nd alone would be a huge gain. When you factor in the boost limit, the OTS stage 1 tune is probably about a 175ft lb increase in torque up to 60mph which is far more than I need or care to risk my pdk with. I'm actually pretty happy with how the car performs on the highway so I don't need much more to round the car out how I'd like it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        When you factor in the boost limit, the OTS stage 1 tune is probably about a 175ft lb increase in torque up to 60mph which is far more than I need or care to risk my pdk with.
        Wasn't somebody saying this PDK box is shared with the S6/S7?
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Yes, the Macan box is. I posted up some pretty good details. The Macan does have a weak link which is the electromechanical transfer box.

        I loved my Macan Turbo programming from COBB. Instant torque, very similar to my electric cars. Makes for a much more pleasant stop/go driving experience.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        The Macan does have a weak link which is the electromechanical transfer box.
        Interesting.

        If it holds for the Turbo though with a tune then the S and GTS should be fine I would think.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Interesting.

        If it holds for the Turbo though with a tune then the S and GTS should be fine I would think.
        The transfer box fails electrically, and is the most replaced part under warranty. It is not a power or torque issue.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        The transfer box fails electrically, and is the most replaced part under warranty. It is not a power or torque issue.
        So what causes it to fail?
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Poor design, its pretty much the only deviation from the S6 DSG. https://www.truedelta.com/Porsche-Ma...-problems-1241