Close

    • Porsche 2017 on 991.2 3.0 OBD-II handheld flash tuning coming soon from Cobb (Accessport) and Dimsport (MyGenius)

      Porsche 991.2 tuning is still in its infancy as the computer was only recently cracked with it requiring a physical unlock. As you can see in the picture provided getting into the ECU is not simple and requires a tuner with some skill and experience.


      The good news is the OBD-II portion of the SDI21 ECU is just about accessible to tuners. Cobb's solution is a couple months away:


      Based on the results of tuning the PorscheBoost Project 991.2 Dimsport received important feedback in logs from Gintani and will have a handheld available any day now. Both handhelds will require the ECU to be physically unlocked though.

      The good news is those who get their ECU's unlocked will be able to flash various maps. For example, stock, tuned, race gas, E85, etc. Very useful for those who get a turbo upgrade and want to have different maps for various fuels/conditions.

      We'll have more details on the pricing of the handheld and its operation shortly.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Porsche 2017 on 991.2 3.0 OBD-II handheld flash tuning coming soon from Cobb (Accessport) and Dimsport (MyGenius) started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 53 Comments
      1. ttuner's Avatar
        ttuner -
        Hey that was me that asked the question! Lol I didnít even realize i got a response.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ttuner Click here to enlarge
        Hey that was me that asked the question! Lol I didn’t even realize i got a response.
        This forum is so good it reminds you of answers to questions you forgot you asked.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Just to update everyone, Cobb's release will require a physical unlock as well.
      1. ttuner's Avatar
        ttuner -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Just to update everyone, Cobb's release will require a physical unlock as well.
        that sucks. So we'll have to mail in the ECU, but when we get it back we'll be able to flash through the OBD port?

        Better than nothing i suppose.
      1. LavaGTS's Avatar
        LavaGTS -
        weak!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ttuner Click here to enlarge
        that sucks. So we'll have to mail in the ECU, but when we get it back we'll be able to flash through the OBD port?

        Better than nothing i suppose.
        Yes, same as the other options.

        Nobody has full OBD-II.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
        weak!
        It's really not that big of a deal.

        Much better than nothing.
      1. LavaGTS's Avatar
        LavaGTS -
        I've used Cobb on my G35, 350z, Mazdaspeed 3, Mazdaspeed 6, and 991.1.

        I'm accustomed to plug and play as this is Cobb's standard. This is a half assed, rushed attempt by Cobb.

        You're right though, better than nothing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
        This is a half assed, rushed attempt by Cobb.
        Completely unfair and not true.

        This is not on Cobb. Take it up with Porsche: https://www.porscheboost.com/content...ents-the-issue
      1. LavaGTS's Avatar
        LavaGTS -
        I'll pin it on Cobb though.

        I'm a put your money where your mouth is type of guy. Porsche is doing their thing rightfully so, Cobb does their thing.

        This product they're releasing is not Cobb's thing. It's a panic release.

        Porsche 1
        Cobb 0
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
        I'll pin it on Cobb though.

        I'm a put your money where your mouth is type of guy. Porsche is doing there thing rightfully so, Cobb does their thing.

        This product they're releasing is not Cobb's thing. It's a panic release.

        Porsche 1
        Cobb 0
        I completely disagree.

        How are they panicking if they aren't rushing to be first to market?

        Secondly, in the BMW world you had to for quite some time get ECU's physically unlocked in order to OBD-II tune.

        Your past experiences don't apply because the technology is much more sophisticated now.

        Cobb is coming to market rather than sitting around and doing nothing. NOBODY is able to do OBD-II flashing without a physical unlock so I hardly see why Cobb is the one getting the blame.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        Dang...I guess back to my original handheld post.

        I thought Cobb went beyond this time...oh well. Can't blame them though as looks like they still have to wait for mothership to release it first.....
      1. Surquhar's Avatar
        Surquhar -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I completely disagree.

        How are they panicking if they aren't rushing to be first to market?

        Secondly, in the BMW world you had to for quite some time get ECU's physically unlocked in order to OBD-II tune.

        Your past experiences don't apply because the technology is much more sophisticated now.

        Cobb is coming to market rather than sitting around and doing nothing. NOBODY is able to do OBD-II flashing without a physical unlock so I hardly see why Cobb is the one getting the blame.
        I agree - But this negates the reason to pay the COBB tax. If we have to bench flash the ECU anyway, your solution makes way more sense given all the different map options including upgraded turbos.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
        I agree - But this negates the reason to pay the COBB tax. If we have to bench flash the ECU anyway, your solution makes way more sense given all the different map options including upgraded turbos.
        Well, Cobb will likely have their usual array of features.

        I intend to use it with my tunes...
      1. Surquhar's Avatar
        Surquhar -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well, Cobb will likely have their usual array of features.

        I intend to use it with my tunes...
        The data logging features? It’s been awhile since I had a COBB tune on my 335.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
        The data logging features? It’s been awhile since I had a COBB tune on my 335.
        They have PDK tuning from the 991.1 that may apply.

        We just have to wait and see.

        A shame some people dismiss it just because they don't like the idea of removing their ECU.
      1. Surquhar's Avatar
        Surquhar -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They have PDK tuning from the 991.1 that may apply.

        We just have to wait and see.

        A shame some people dismiss it just because they don't like the idea of removing their ECU.
        Gotcha - I hear you, but “most” people buy COBB stuff because it’s so easy. Sit in your driveway and add 100hp. I know they do some nasty big power stuff on some platforms, but that’s not what people expect from them. The fact that they are releasing this with a bench flash is pretty eye opening in regards to how advanced this new Porsche ECU is. Removing your ECU from your brand new 100k car is a huge commitment.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
        The fact that they are releasing this with a bench flash is pretty eye opening in regards to how advanced this new Porsche ECU is. Removing your ECU from your brand new 100k car is a huge commitment.
        I mean I wrote an article explaining how complex the new ECU is last year and I didn't do it for fun. We're fortunate to have what we have.

        Full OBD-II will come but I agree with Cobb that it is better to get on the market then sit on the sidelines indefinitely.

        It's really not that big of a deal to remove the ECU.
      1. Surquhar's Avatar
        Surquhar -
        I agree and you called it for sure. I have had mine for so long, at this point I don’t mind removing it, but when I first got it i didn’t like even parking the dam thing anywhere. Things will change very quickly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Surquhar Click here to enlarge
        I agree and you called it for sure. I have had mine for so long, at this point I don’t mind removing it, but when I first got it i didn’t like even parking the dam thing anywhere. Things will change very quickly.
        This is the exact sentiment.

        You guys need to stop treating the car like it is made out of glass.