Close

    • Poor Cobb Tuning customer service and ECU shipping issues on the Porsche 991.2 9A2B6 platform

      It seems Cobb's customer is considerably slipping or they were not prepared for 991.2 ECU volume and shipping. Various Porsche 991.2 owners over various forums are posting issues with Cobb's customer service and how they are handling 991.2 ECU tuning.


      As the ECU needs to be shipped to Cobb to be unlocked it is very important to coordinate the shipping especially for someone who only has one car. Cobb is slipping up tremendously in this area as they claim a 2-day turnaround:

      Quote Originally Posted by 991PSI
      Decided to finally get a tune and go with Cobb due to the Accessport. I followed the instructions and removed my ECU. I was all set to go, purchased with a dealer, and... no box from Cobb.

      It's supposed to be 2-day air.

      This is my only car and I set aside the time for this and now have to put the ECU back in and go through the process all over again.

      What a waste of time and planning.
      He is not alone:

      Quote Originally Posted by LavaGTS
      I kind of went through something similar with my order being placed. It took about 2 weeks.

      Right now my car is also sitting aside and covered up. Waiting for my ECU to arrive along with the AP. It should be here tomorrow.
      We shall see if LavaGTS gets his ECU finally tomorrow but that is not the only issue he had. Cobb did not send him all the parts for the intercoolers he purchased:

      Quote Originally Posted by LavaGTS
      They also forgot to send my carbon fiber AMS intercooler ducts which luckily were located and shipped.
      There are also people who are calling in and getting the wrong information from Cobb. I myself have had to straighten this out through PM for Cobb and that should not be my responsibility:

      Quote Originally Posted by cosmo
      I was told the ecu didnt have to come out and only the obd port was accessed? I want to pull the trigger on this put the review didnt really convince me it was really worth it...
      How do Cobb's own employees not know the details on their own product?

      Quote Originally Posted by cosmo
      You are exactly correct. Turns out the young lady on the phone failed to memtion to me about the ecu coming out to be unlocked.. Thank you..
      That is not all. Cobb is causing massive delays for other owners and seemingly threatening to pull their warranty if you do not do things their way:

      Quote Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
      Hi Mitch, I made the mistake of ordering the AMS Intercoolers and asking some questions. I "ASKED" could we get it unlocked here. When we got the lawyers response that you would not even warrant the AP for any reason at all, we found that unacceptable and agreed to your lengthy, drawn out antiquated process.

      I waited weeks for the empty box, however the Intercoolers and the AP showed up. When we queried this, we were told there was a communication problem and the box would be shipped ASAP. That was weeks ago. Still waiting.

      I will email you now. I am not willing to go outside your process as its a cop out that you won't warrant it. So I will do EXACTLY as you say because I want warranty. That is why I have not shipped the ECU all by myself. I don't want to give you an excuse to not warrant your product. So thanks for the monthly delay. But once again, I will wait for you to send me an EMPTY box, so that I can follow your procedure and have you warrant your product that I paid for months ago.

      Let's be very very clear. I DO NOT WANT ANY SPECIAL FAVOURS. I just request what I paid for. An empty box to ship you the ECU. Nothing more. Requesting any other information has already caused massive delays.
      Warranty threats are a very poor way to handle poor customer service issues.

      My own experience as of late is that Cobb is very slow to respond if they even bother to respond at all.

      For those who can't afford to deal with inconsistent wait times and customer service issues, feel free to PM for Cobb Tuning alternatives as well as options with custom tunes and not one size fits all OTS canned tunes.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Poor Cobb Tuning customer service and ECU shipping issues on the Porsche 991.2 9A2B6 platform started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 31 Comments
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Wow. Genuinely curious what the reason for all this will be.
      1. cosmo's Avatar
        cosmo -
        I almost pulled the trigger on cobb but after no decent reviews or real dyno charts I changed my mind. Actually I leave tomorrow to drive to Hydra Motor Works in west palm beach FL for a tune. This is the company doing the in house tunes for Fabsport. They will provide me with a hand held so I can change back to stock for service.
      1. ///M3THOD's Avatar
        ///M3THOD -
        Sticky, in the effort to be fair, I think when citing people, its necessary to provide the backstory, responses or customer decisions involved with to several of these cases or issues.

        Jared @ COBB posted a response in my thread to 4 Point 0 specifically addressing many of these issues on a public forum. His situation was unique do to overseas shipping, his refusal to ship himself, UPS returning empty shipping boxes, etc. There were a whole list of factors playing into that situation, but regardless, it could have been handled better.

        COBB absolutely needs to step their game up, they are seemingly overwhelmed and well over their operating over their efficient turnaround capacity. I agree that they should update their indicated return time, its just unrealistic with the volume they are seeing right now.



        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cosmo Click here to enlarge
        I almost pulled the trigger on cobb but after no decent reviews or real dyno charts I changed my mind. Actually I leave tomorrow to drive to Hydra Motor Works in west palm beach FL for a tune. This is the company doing the in house tunes for Fabsport. They will provide me with a hand held so I can change back to stock for service.
        What are you talking about? There's several reviews and dynos, including my own, regarding the COBB tune.

        Do a 5 minute search and you'll find a good amount of data.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        This is a prick move on your behalf...

        You terminated the account of a user who YOU $#@!ed over when he purchased the BOOST ADDICT Tial/Gintani kit.

        4 Point 0 is a piece a sh!t who was trying to avoid customs and duties.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        This is a prick move on your behalf...

        You terminated the account of a user who YOU $#@!ed over when he purchased the BOOST ADDICT Tial/Gintani kit.
        WTF does Cobb have to do with my kit? That kid tried to scam ME maybe you need to go look over the thread and see the issue was resolved in my favor.

        What does it have to do with Cobb's terrible customer service issues with the 991.2 platform?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        COBB absolutely needs to step their game up, they are seemingly overwhelmed and well over their operating over their efficient turnaround capacity. I agree that they should update their indicated return time, its just unrealistic with the volume they are seeing right now.
        This is exactly my point. Clearly they are unable to handle the volume or meet their claims on turnaround. Why shouldn't people be warned about this?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cosmo Click here to enlarge
        I almost pulled the trigger on cobb but after no decent reviews or real dyno charts I changed my mind. Actually I leave tomorrow to drive to Hydra Motor Works in west palm beach FL for a tune. This is the company doing the in house tunes for Fabsport. They will provide me with a hand held so I can change back to stock for service.
        After speaking with you I was going to recommend Hydra but I didn't realize you would be willing to do that drive.

        Anyway, it seems you did your research and did it well.

        What hand held are they using? They may be the solution to my problems as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, in the effort to be fair, I think when citing people, its necessary to provide the backstory, responses or customer decisions involved with to several of these cases or issues.
        Sure. By the way, I'm not standing in the way of you posting any supplemental info you wish to regarding @COBB Tuning.
      1. flsupraguy's Avatar
        flsupraguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cosmo Click here to enlarge
        I almost pulled the trigger on cobb but after no decent reviews or real dyno charts I changed my mind. Actually I leave tomorrow to drive to Hydra Motor Works in west palm beach FL for a tune. This is the company doing the in house tunes for Fabsport. They will provide me with a hand held so I can change back to stock for service.
        Interesting. Im not too far from West Palm. Are they doing the tunes for Fabspeed or Fabsport?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flsupraguy Click here to enlarge
        Are they doing the tunes for Fabspeed
        Fabspeed. The guy seems pretty talented too. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does for @cosmo.
      1. ///M3THOD's Avatar
        ///M3THOD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This is exactly my point. Clearly they are unable to handle the volume or meet their claims on turnaround. Why shouldn't people be warned about this?
        You're collecting a handful of bad, or should I say slow, experiences and posting it as an overview of their business practices.

        The vast majority of people didn't have any issues.. and there's probably already more people running this tune than all of the others combined (especially considering how long some of the other options have been available)

        They've publicly addressed this and clarified any misconceptions about warranty, etc.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        You're collecting a handful of bad, or should I say slow, experiences and posting it as an overview of their business practices.
        I highlight their positive reviews as well, right?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        The vast majority of people didn't have any issues.. and there's probably already more people running this tune than all of the others combined (especially considering how long some of the other options have been available)
        True. But that doesn't excuse poor customer service and communication.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        @LavaGTS did your ECU show up?
      1. cosmo's Avatar
        cosmo -
        I will take some pics and offer a full review when I return...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cosmo Click here to enlarge
        I will take some pics and offer a full review when I return...
        Please provide details on that handheld unit as well.
      1. cosmo's Avatar
        cosmo -
        Sure thing....
      1. LavaGTS's Avatar
        LavaGTS -
        Its 1:30 local time and nothing yet.. If I don't receive it by tomorrow evening then somethings up. Starting to cringe now when I walk past my car seeing it in pieces.

        To be fair, this is Cobb's first time dealing with ECU removals, getting them shipped in, unlocked and shipped back out. I was going to hold off until Cobb found a way to install the AP without removing the ECU but I'm impatient and had to have it now. lol.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
        Its 1:30 local time and nothing yet.. If I don't receive it by tomorrow evening then somethings up. Starting to cringe now when I walk past my car seeing it in pieces.
        And people want me to just ignore this just because some guys got their stuff?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LavaGTS Click here to enlarge
        To be fair, this is Cobb's first time dealing with ECU removals, getting them shipped in, unlocked and shipped back out. I was going to hold off until Cobb found a way to install the AP without removing the ECU but I'm impatient and had to have it now. lol.
        It's understandable. Early adoption comes with certain risks but this is Cobb and they're supposed to set the standard...
      1. LavaGTS's Avatar
        LavaGTS -
        I just got my tracking info, my ECU will arrive tomorrow.