Close

    • Before and after Swain Tech ceramic coated Porsche 991.2 3.0 Carrera GTS Vektor Performance manifolds/headers and a look at ceramic coating

      Vektor Performance put up two interesting videos of a Porsche 991.2 3.0 being run with their aftermarket headers. You will see one set of the manifolds is in their normal metallic finish and the other is ceramic coated by Swain Tech.


      Now, the Vektor Performance headers do make an appreciable difference on the 991.2 as testing shows. Does ceramic coating those same headers make a big difference?

      Well, first understand what ceramic coating does and the purpose:

      Swain Tech’s White Lightning™ ceramic thermal barrier for exhaust parts is the only true insulating coating available. There is typically 35-55% less heat radiating from a Swain Tech Coated Header.

      TBCTM is approximately .002″ thick, so rarely does any compensation need to be made during the machining process-unless of course the pistons are at zero-deck before coating. The coating is permanently bonded to the part.

      Other companies apply cosmetic header coatings that have minimal effects on heat insulation and instead are purely for cosmetics. These header coatings are shiny or colored and really will not improve performance, but they do look nice. Swain Tech Coatings is the only company to offer a true insulating thermal barrier for exhaust parts. This external thermal barrier is applied approximately .012″ thick, has a white matte finish and does a tremendous job of keeping the heat inside of the pipes to improve scavenging and reduce under hood temperatures.
      Now, that sounds good on paper. More heat kept in, better performance.

      It is hard to argue with the eye test here clearly showing the Swain Tech coated 991.2 headers not getting nearly as hot which means the ceramic coating is doing exactly as advertised:




      Vektor Performance claims the coated difference was so large they did not post the results as they would not be believed.

      Well, BoostAddict is here to offer its services in testing these coated headers on the Porscheboost 991.2 project car.

      We have uncoated aftermarket 991.2 headers to test and would like to test a set of ceramic coated headers just to see how big of a difference they really make.

      What could be better than independent testing? If you agree, let @VektorPerformance know.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: Before and after Swain Tech ceramic coated Porsche 991.2 3.0 Carrera GTS Vektor Performance manifolds/headers and a look at ceramic coating started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. flsupraguy's Avatar
        flsupraguy -
        @VektorPerformance if the test yields positive results I will buy them.
      1. ///M3THOD's Avatar
        ///M3THOD -
        How much additional is this coating? I think its like + $600 IIRC.

        With the price of the headers and the coating, your looking at just sub the 4k mark.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Anyone who ceramic coats headers get back to me in a year...
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        Anyone who ceramic coats headers get back to me in a year...
        Coating doesn't last?
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        How much additional is this coating? I think its like + $600 IIRC.

        With the price of the headers and the coating, your looking at just sub the 4k mark.
        $350
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Interested to see these results....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flsupraguy Click here to enlarge
        @VektorPerformance if the test yields positive results I will buy them.
        Same thing @VektorPerformance
      1. VektorPerformance's Avatar
        VektorPerformance -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flsupraguy Click here to enlarge
        Vektor Performance if the test yields positive results I will buy them.
        Well I can say this without a doubt... They will not perform worse Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F16HTON Click here to enlarge
        Anyone who ceramic coats headers get back to me in a year...
        Why? From the many headers we've had coated (into the hundreds) I can say the failure rate is well below 1%. That being said, this is not a pretty coating, it's a performance coating. It will 'pill' up as the binders come to the surface, grey and the top 'appearance' layer can occasionally chip. None of these have any effect on the performance characteristics of the coating. It's pretty tough stuff.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///M3THOD Click here to enlarge
        How much additional is this coating? I think its like + $600 IIRC.

        With the price of the headers and the coating, your looking at just sub the 4k mark.
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        $350
        Sticky was close, it's $325 which includes shipping there and back as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VektorPerformance Click here to enlarge
        None of these have any effect on the performance characteristics of the coating. It's pretty tough stuff.
        How long does it last?
      1. spdracerut's Avatar
        spdracerut -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How long does it last?
        I coated my old cast SR20DET manifold with SwainTech. Beat the crap out of it for 80k miles (auto-x, drag, track days) before I sold the car. It turned a little yellow, but absolutely no flaking or any sign of coming off. Swain Tech White Lightning has been used for a couple decades now. Can google lots of peoples' experiences with it. It will likely outlast your car.
      1. VektorPerformance's Avatar
        VektorPerformance -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How long does it last?
        Well I have some headers that have been coated for almost 10 years. They are discolored, chipped, spilled on... you know, very well used. The coating is still there.

        It's pretty permanent. Whenever we've had to make modifications for a header that has been coated (new or used) you have to grind it off. It does not come off easily, as the molten ceramic is sprayed onto the base metal at supersonic speed. It takes a very careful eye to see where coating ends and metal begins when you're grinding it. The application process is pretty impressive in itself. This is certainly not Cerakote cured in a powder coating oven.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VektorPerformance Click here to enlarge
        Well I have some headers that have been coated for almost 10 years. They are discolored, chipped, spilled on... you know, very well used. The coating is still there.

        It's pretty permanent. Whenever we've had to make modifications for a header that has been coated (new or used) you have to grind it off. It does not come off easily, as the molten ceramic is sprayed onto the base metal at supersonic speed. It takes a very careful eye to see where coating ends and metal begins when you're grinding it. The application process is pretty impressive in itself. This is certainly not Cerakote cured in a powder coating oven.
        I'm sold. Well, almost sold.

        Let's test vs. Kline and Fabspeed already. Just missing a set of Vektor headers...
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        I'm sold. Well, almost sold.

        Let's test vs. Kline and Fabspeed already. Just missing a set of Vektor headers...
        If you’re going to do a legitimate test, they should all be Swaintech coated. Otherwise it’s not really a fair comparison at all.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        If you’re going to do a legitimate test, they should all be Swaintech coated. Otherwise it’s not really a fair comparison at all.
        So we are working with MotorTrend's budget now?

        All uncoated is far more realistic.
      1. flsupraguy's Avatar
        flsupraguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        If you’re going to do a legitimate test, they should all be Swaintech coated. Otherwise it’s not really a fair comparison at all.
        Sounds great. I assume you are going to fund the cost for coating to Sticky?
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        So we are working with MotorTrend's budget now?

        All uncoated is far more realistic.
        I thought you were talking about testing the coated ones. Fair enough.
      1. F16HTON's Avatar
        F16HTON -
        Test one side of the car coated and the other uncoated, measure the external temperature with a pryometer and the boost pressure on each side pre intake plenum.
      1. YVR666's Avatar
        YVR666 -
        didn't someone get ahold of a set of vektor headers already? either here or rennlist. Whats with the wait?!?!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        I thought you were talking about testing the coated ones. Fair enough.
        We could still possibly test one coated set and do some temp measurements and data acquisition which would be better than nothing.

        Right now I have two uncoated sets. I suppose trying to acquire Vektor uncoated would make the most sense but I'm really curious about coated testing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by YVR666 Click here to enlarge
        didn't someone get ahold of a set of vektor headers already? either here or rennlist. Whats with the wait?!?!
        I don't know of anyone running them yet but there are a few sets out there from what I understand.

        Nobody has tried any set of headers with upgraded turbos yet so I think that will be something to see...