Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

car shopping, 996tt vs 996 cab

i've been feverishly working at picking up a 3rd car (already have a lexus dd and an e36 m3 that isn't worth selling). first up, a modded '02 996tt (digital boost control, 1 bar ecu upgrade, exhaust, k&n, y-pipe, throttle body, intercooler, 19" hre)... i'm guessing it's pushing 550hp+. but the guy is in temecula (2 hr drive for me) and seems pretty proud of his ride, probably won't go a dime below $38k. i could buy it, probably wouldn't ever race it though, so it's a bragging right more than anything.

today, i visited a '99 996 cab for $12k. 190k on the car, but the engine is the 3.6l with only 70k miles on it. the engine is legit, zero rattles, no strange smoke, a fast and fun car with some door dings and cosmetic damage. would be a nice car to pick up long haired girls with. but, the guy has no money and the title's with a credit union. i really don't want to pay his loan and worry about not getting the pink slip. so i told him: if you can scrape the money together and get the pink slip, i'll buy it (cash and carry) in a day's notice.

seems like the cab is a better fit for southern cali... fast enough, great price. it's not what's under the hood, it's who's behind the wheel (or riding shotgun) lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    996tt never look back.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    996tt never look back.
    not everyone's ballin' on an ir smg m3 dude Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by louis redfoot Click here to enlarge
    not everyone's ballin' on an ir smg m3 dude Click here to enlarge
    How do you know that? That was over a decade ago.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because I'm a performance junkie, I'd go for the TT. Only reason I'd go with the CAB is with plans of doing an LS swap to give the P-car some more grunt

Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How do you know that? That was over a decade ago.
    look silver, we've taken the same bans from the same clans. but i think i did it a little better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The LS swap is a great way to go, it really is. However, you have to buy the motor, do the swap, etc. I think he's just looking to get a complete car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    look silver, we've taken the same bans from the same clans. but i think i did it a little better.
    Must be a bf.c fellow from back in the day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Because I'm a performance junkie, I'd go for the TT. Only reason I'd go with the CAB is with plans of doing an LS swap to give the P-car some more grunt
    for $12k... the 3.6l cab with an sc in the future seems like a good compromise. can't figure out why the 996 is so unpopular, both 993tt and 997tt are still pushing $100k, yeah the black sheep 996tt can be had for 40's or lower. is headlight design worth that much?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for $12k... the 3.6l cab with an sc in the future seems like a good compromise. can't figure out why the 996 is so unpopular, both 993tt and 997tt are still pushing $100k, yeah the black sheep 996tt can be had for 40's or lower. is headlight design worth that much?
    The 993 is the last air cooled 911 plus it's considered basically 'perfect' so it's now a collector's piece.

The 997 returns to the roots with the round headlights plus gets an interior and exterior design that is just flat out superior to the 996. Not to mention the 997.1 models still have the GT1 block so they get a boost just for that.

The 996 is kind of the red-headed stepchild that nobody loves. It's just sort of stuck in an unfortunate rut where the Porsche purists hate it and it isn't a collector's edition by any means. It's just an outdated 911 and it doesn't have the lines to be a classic.

That said, it's a great value. If the 996TT is not chosen due to $ obviously go with the cab but then why suggest the 996tt in the first place? It's the obvious choice. Convertibles are overrated anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 993 is the last air cooled 911 plus it's considered basically 'perfect' so it's now a collector's piece.

The 997 returns to the roots with the round headlights plus gets an interior and exterior design that is just flat out superior to the 997. Not to mention the 997.1 models still have the GT1 block so they get a boost just for that.

The 996 is kind of the red-headed stepchild that nobody loves. It's just sort of stuck in an unfortunate rut where the Porsche purists hate it and it isn't a collector's edition by any means. It's just an outdated 911 and it doesn't have the lines to be a classic.

That said, it's a great value. If the 996TT is not chosen due to $ obviously go with the cab but then why suggest the 996tt in the first place? It's the obvious choice. Convertibles are overrated anyway.
    meaningful to gearheads, i doubt most girls with tight bras would ever notice the difference. talked to the '02 996tt (83k, still on stock turbos) guy last night: i'm guessing he needs cash, perhaps talk him down to $35k. but when i mentioned my car lineup (i had a 996c2 coupe back in the day), he started going off about supercharged v8's and how his 996tt can destroy ferraris. to a guy with a hammer, everything's a nail. i texted him in the morning and said i decided to go with another car, which he replied "someone else is looking at my car and might buy it today so i'm not worried". why mention that unless he is worried? looks like a ripe kill for someone who really wants that kind of car.

and re alpha whatever skylines... on rodeo drive it's still cheap (albeit fast) japanese stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i doubt most girls with tight bras would ever notice the difference.
    Oh well if that's the goal cab by all means.

and re alpha whatever skylines... on rodeo drive it's still cheap (albeit fast) japanese stuff
    Well you'll never catch me in a GTR and certainly not in one on Rodeo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i doubt i'll get this, but if anyone's looking for a 996tt at a good deal, this is the car

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is the 996 cab i visited today. has some door dings (typical wear and tear), but the wood trim has some cracks (not really sure how that happens) and there's a tear on the driver's seat

Click here to enlarge

if someone wants to underwrite his credit union lien, i'll take the car for $12k cash

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if someone wants to underwrite his credit union lien, i'll take the car for $12k cash
    You may want to look for another one as that complicates things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much does the 996TT 2002 model weigh ?
    Seems like a good choice given the cost of them over here in NY... $38k sounds cheap

550 whp in a light car = joy
    Driving fresh air now

Recent Past
    2015 McLaren 650S
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    996TT. The motor is pretty fierce.

A 600AWHP Carrera has to be awesome
    Last edited by 135pats; 02-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    [I]E88 N54 w stuff
    MB w205 c450

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    How much does the 996TT 2002 model weigh ?
    Seems like a good choice given the cost of them over here in NY... $38k sounds cheap

550 whp in a light car = joy
    3000lbs i think.

so i found an fd rx7 with 60k miles for $15k, bright red with some bolt-ons, could be a winner. normally not a fan of japanese sports cars but i like the rx7... we'll see if i get a callback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    3000lbs i think.

so i found an fd rx7 with 60k miles for $15k, bright red with some bolt-ons, could be a winner. normally not a fan of japanese sports cars but i like the rx7... we'll see if i get a callback.
    It's considerably more than 3000.